ConvaTec Introduces AQUACEL® EXTRA™ Wound Dressings With Hydrofiber® Technology in U.S.
Medios de Comunicación
Unique dressing for moderate to highly exuding wounds is designed to be nine times stronger and 39% more absorbent than current dressing1
SKILLMAN, NJ (February 13, 2012) - ConvaTec, a world-leading developer and marketer of innovative medical technologies for community and hospital care, today announced the availability of AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing with strengthening fiber in the United States.
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is composed of two layers of Hydrofiber® Technology stitched together, and designed to make it nine times stronger than current AQUACEL® wound dressings, and to give an increased absorbency of 39% over the current AQUACEL® wound dressing.1 Cleared for the same indications as AQUACEL® wound dressing products, AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing will be specifically suitable when managing moderate to highly exuding wounds.
"AQUACEL® wound dressing products have earned my trust over the years based on my experience with their patient care benefits, including minimizing pain at dressing changes," states Jennifer Hurlow, GNP-BC, CWCN, Plastic Surgery Group of Memphis. "The addition of AQUACEL® EXTRA™ means I will be able to offer the same patient care benefits of AQUACEL® wound dressings on higher-exuding wounds."
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is constructed with two-dimensional strengthening fibers that are stitched into the dressing. While made from the same base material that is used to manufacture Hydrofiber® Technology, the strengthening fibers do not gel on contact with fluid so that they maintain integrity and become encompassed by the gel, providing additional strength and aiding the easy removal from even the deepest wound beds.
"AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is an excellent addition to our family of AQUACEL® dressing products. Our customers know the benefits of Hydrofiber® Technology in treating chronic and acute wounds and we are pleased to provide them with a product for wounds where additional absorption is required," explains Brad Barton, President, ConvaTec U.S.
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressings are available in three sizes: 2"x2" (5x5cm), 4"x5" (10x12cm) and 6"x6" (15x15cm).
Advanced Wound Dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology from ConvaTec
ConvaTec dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology gel on contact with fluid, providing clinicians and patients with substantial wound care benefits. This unique gelling action enables the dressings to lock in exudate and its harmful components2,3,4,b and contour closely to the wound bed,5 b in response to changing wound conditions. AQUACEL® dressings are soft, absorbent non-woven wound dressings based on Hydrofiber® Technology.
ConvaTec is a leading developer and marketer of innovative medical technologies that have helped improve the lives of millions of people worldwide. With four key focus areas - Ostomy Care, Wound Therapeutics, Continence and Critical Care, and Infusion Devices - ConvaTec products support healthcare professionals from the hospital to the community health setting.
# # #
Hydrofiber and AQUACEL are registered trademarks and AQUACEL EXTRA is a trademark of ConvaTec Inc.
© 2012 ConvaTec
- Assessment of the Physical Properties of AQUACEL® EXTRA and AQUACEL Dressings. Scientific Background Report WHRI3461 TA214. 2011 Data on File, ConvaTec.
- Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilization in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings.Biomaterials.2003; 24:883-890.
- Waring MJ, Parsons D. Physico-chemical characterization of carboxymethylated spun cellulose fibres.Biomaterials.2001; 22:903-912.
- Walker M, Bowler PG, Cochrane CA. In vitro studies to show sequestration of matrix metalloproteinases by silver-containing wound care products.Ostomy Wound Manage.2007; 53(9):18-25.
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface.Wounds.2005; 17(9):263-270.